Wednesday, January 23, 2013

National Handwriting Day


Happy National Handwriting Day! 


I love to celebrate this holiday, as I love everything about handwriting -- letters, journal writing, calligraphy and more. I've written about celebrating handwriting before, and reviewed a wonderful book on the subject quite a long time ago, called Script & Scribble. Now I really want to read Philip Hensher's The Missing Ink: the Lost Art of Handwriting as well.

To celebrate my love of handwriting, I've started a Postal Reading Challenge (button in the sidebar) that runs all year long and you can sign up to read along any time during the year. It is intended to celebrate the postal system and all the joys of correspondence, and can include writing some of your own letters!

I have also just signed up for a wonderful project run by author Mary Robinette Kowal, called A Month of Letters. It runs for the month of February, and the parameters are to write a letter every day that the post runs (24) and reply to the letters that are written to you. It has beautiful badges (shown in this post) and has a community forum to participate in if you register. Check it out -- you can write letters, send newspaper clippings or even fabric swatches through the mail (love that touch). She has done a great job of organizing this in its second year and I am really looking forward to it. If you want to get in on the fun and become one of my correspondents in February, send me your mailing address securely, via Postable.



Whatever way you choose, I hope you will celebrate National Handwriting Day and have fun with your penmanship :)


9 comments:

  1. How cool. I've sent you my info and joined, too. I was planning on doing the Month of Letters as well and since I might as well (I'm really in a letter writing mood) am going to join your Postal Challenge as well. I just need to decide what I'm going to read (always a nice problem to have!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So great to hear this, Danielle. I know you will have some great reads to share. It's the first time I've thought of doing Month of Letters and hope I can accomplish it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for writing about this challenge. I have signed up and I sent you my info. I don't think I've ever mailed anything to Canada before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know there was a day to celebrate handwriting!

    Melwyk, I like the idea of your postal reading challenge very much, I just know that I would not be able to meet even the minimum requirement of 6 books. A Month of Letters also has too lofty of a goal for me, although I do write letters and notes and cards, throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot all about this. I still treasure many letters from my family who are now gone. Somehow a printed copy of an e-mail isn't the same.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. I signed up and I sent you my info. I'm not sure if I'll manage 23 letters but I will certainly try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary - great! Glad to have you on board!

    Suko -yes! I love it. Maybe you can just follow along with what other people are reading for the challenge and get some new TBR ideas...like you need those... ;)

    Ann - there is nothing like pulling out old letters and rereading them when you're feeling blue

    Stefanie - hurrah! That is great news. I have no idea if I'll be able to meet the 23 letter total but it will be fun trying :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting. 23 letters is a lot. I'll be interested to see how you do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Melwyk,

    Great post you shared here and I very much like your postal reading challenge is nice. I am also bookmarked this page for future reading.

    Thanks for Post.

    Regards
    Handwriting

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!